Why you need BabelEdit
I am a developer! I know diff! What could possibly go wrong?
Handling things is easy — as long as you only have one language file. That's right. The pain starts as soon as you add your first translation.
- Are all messages available in all languages?
- Is this message still in use — or can it be removed?
- What's the status of that translation? Is it draft or final?
- How do I export the translation in a file format that my translation agency can handle?
BabelEdit is the solution to all of these problems — and more...
BabelEdit vs YourCompareTool
(Don't get me wrong: A compare tool is a very useful. It's just not the right tool for handling translation files!)
- Never out of sync: Edit all files at once
- BabelEdit performs add, delete and rename operations on all translation files at the same time.Your files can never get out of sync! A message either exists in all files or none.
- Don't waste your time
- Diff isn't the answer for managing translation files. Every single line in a translation file contains changes because of the different languages.And how do you want to handle 3 or more language files?
The translation tool for developers
BabelEdit knows your framework
BabelEdit does not simply edit translation files. It has knowledge about the framework you use.
- No conversion, import or export required
- BabelEdit directly works with your framework's translation files:
- json (Angular, React, Laravel, Vue and more)
- yaml (Ember)
- php (Laravel translation data)
- vue (Vue.js single file components)
- arb (Application Resource Bundle, Flutter)
- properties (Java, Groovy, Grails,…)
- Framework aware
BabelEdit knows the internal structure of your translation files and where to find them.
It also knows what placeholders your framework uses and how translations are used in your source code.
Source code view
The source code view shows you where translations are used in your code.
- Find unused translations
- BabelEdit helps you finding translations that are not used in your source code anymore.
- See the context
- The source code view also shows you in which context a translation is used.
Suggestions & Pre-translate
Let BabelEdit fetch translations from Google Translate, Microsoft Translator or DeepL. You can use them as suggestion for a single phrase or fetch all translations for a language.
- Get translation suggestions
- The suggestions panel in BabelEdit displays machine-translated sentences while you edit. Accept the suggested translation as your current translation with a single click.
- Translate all messages with a single click
- You want to see how your application looks in a different language? Or save some money and support your translator? Use pre-translate to auto-magically fill all empty translations.
The spell checker automatically checks your messages while typing.
- Correction and dictionary
- BabelEdit suggest the correct spelling and you can of course add new words to the dictionary.
- 42 languages included
- BabelEdit's spell checker comes with 42 languages and checks each message in the corresponding language.
Easy exchange with translators
Export your messages to exchange them with 3rd party translators or use them in other tools. Importing from these files is if course also supported.
- Export / Import files with translators and other tools
Translation agencies are usually not very happy if you send them your .json or .yaml files — but that's not a problem for you!
Import and export your messages if you want to exchange data with a translation service that does not use BabelEdit.
BabelEdit supports the following formats for data exchange:Excel
- Convert between translation file formats
- Use the export / import mechanism to convert your project files between different formats such as yaml, json or xml.
Works with your favorite web framework
Know what to do
Apply filters to focus on the work ahead.
- Filter by words or status
Filters not only allow you to search for specific words or translation IDs. You can apply them also to find all untranslated or approved / not approved messages.
Find all occurrences of a word to check your translations for consistency.
Comments & approval
- Give your translators the context they need
- Add comments to give the translator more information about the position and context of a message.
- Track translation progress
- Use the Approved flag to mark translations that are considered final.
- Know where you are standing
- The statistics give you an exact overview by language about what is open, translated or approved.
- Estimate translation costs
- Translators usually get paid by the number of words they translate. BabelEdit gives you an estimate of how much you'll have to pay for your messages.
- Customizable view
- See your translation ids as list or tree, filter items to only see the translations you are currently working on.
- Windows, macOS & Linux
- BabelEdit works on all major desktop operating systems: Windows, macOS or Linux.
- Fair pricing model
- Affordable price. Buy BabelEdit once and use it forever. Free updates included for 1 year. No subscription.